First of all, thank you all so much for all of your prayers. I am happy to share that I have successfully made it through the first work week! The week has been full of it's share of highs and lows, but no matter how I may be feeling, I know that God is constant and unchanging, and my mountains and valleys are like the tooth on computer paper to Him.
One of the hardest parts about this week has been the loneliness that comes with being in a strange place and not knowing anybody. It's been great getting to know the people at OE (we had a fun team trip to 6 Flags on Wed!), but once I come home for the day, I'm all by myself. Today - my first day with nothing planned - had all the potential in the world to be lonely to the extreme, but instead God used it to point me to His goodness, and the fact that He is the only thing that perfectly satisfies. I spent the day wandering around NYC - up to the Cloisters, down to Times Square, back home through Central Park - and while I didn't have anyone to share the day with, it was like the day was something that God was sharing with me. He was revealing Himself in the little things - the clear skies, the musicians on the subway, a call from a friend - as if to say, "I delight in my children. Delight in me."
Psalm 37:4 says, "Delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." I read that a few days ago in my devotions, but I didn't fully understand then that even if I have nothing else, God will satisfy every need.
Today was a good refresher, a good encouragement going into next week. At OE, we'll be spending the week preparing for the summer program, and I'll be writing a seven week creative-time curriculum. Please keep me and the staff in your prayers as we try to minister and show God's love through everything we do.
Please also pray for my roommate, as she prepares to join me here on Wednesday!
"God is so good. God is so good. God is so good, He's so good to me."
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
HI Heather,
We are about to leave for China, so we will not follow your blog again until August and we predict that you will have a blog full of fascinating encounters and events and you won't want to leave...and you will be wishing for some time alone. So, enjoy the "alone" time now. We will pray for you every day. Gal. 3:16-17
Love, Brenda and Jere
Post a Comment